Monday, July 28, 2008

My diagnosis

I drove to Plano with plenty of time. I didn't want to be rushed getting from the parking garage to the Dr's office. I wanted to be calm. Things would be o.k.
When they called me in to Dr. Canavan's office, I waited for her to come in. What was she going to say? Well, first she checked on my biopsy site. It appeared to be healing well. I hadn't had a lot of pain the night before. She sat on her stool in front of me, and said "we got the results from the pathologist, and it is cancer." Stage II, invasive lobular carcinoma. The lymph nodes were positive for cancer as well. She studied my face for my reaction. I didn't cry, I just shook my head up and down, like o.k., o.k. She immediately told me that it was treatable, and we were going to do everything we needed, and she wasn't going to let me die. I remained somewhat calm. She told me to get dressed and, that she would discuss with me what my treatment plan would entail. She asked if I was alone, and I told her my husband wasn't able to come home. She said I could call him on my cell, and he could hear what we talked about. After a few minutes, she came in, and showed me a diagram of the whole process. We talked about what hospital we would go to, and how she would perform a lumpectomy, and then I would have chemo and radiation. We set up further tests (MRI, ct scans and bone scan), and we would be able to tell if the cancer had spread. I learned that the term metastiasized refers to the cancer spreading to the lymph nodes, not necessarily to other body parts. But the further tests would tell us if it was anywhere else. I also learned that if it goes to your lungs, abdomen, brain, bones, or anywhere else, it is still considered breast cancer. Interesting. Well, it was Thursday, and McKay and I had planned to go to Utah that Sunday with Jacob and Martin Quintana, who was heading up to SOAR. I was so anxious to have further testing, that I just didn't know if we should take the trip. To further complicate it, my Dr. would be on vacation the week we got back, so it could delay our getting on with the process. She encouraged me to take the trip, and said I could have the MRI, etc. when I got back, and then surgery the last week of July. That put a little wrench into things, because our much anticipated trip to NYC was scheduled for Aug 1 to Aug 8. Could we delay the surgery for 2 more weeks and not jeopardize my health? Fear and doubt are not healthy for you. I promise.

No comments: